This classic Thai recipe, also known as Gai Pad Med Mamuang, is not only substantial but extremely satisfying. Perfect for sharing with family and friends!
Serves 4 people
- 400 g chicken thighsSliced into bite sized pieces
- 80 g roasted cashew nuts
- 350 g cooked white rice
- 5 dried large red chiliesChopped
- 3 cloves garlicThinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onionSliced
- ½ pcs green bell pepperRoughly chopped
- 3 stalks spring onionChopped
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili paste
- 2 tsp Thai fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
Let’s start cooking!
Step 1 – Fry garlic and dried chilies
- In a pan on high heat, heat up 3 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry dried red chilies and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes, until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
Step 2 – Fry chicken, yellow onions and bell peppers
- In the same pan with the remaining oil, fry chicken, yellow onions and bell peppers for 4 to 5 minutes, until chicken is slightly browned.
Step 3 – Add chicken stock and seasoning
- Add chicken stock, 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce, 1 Tbsp chili paste and 2 tsp Thai fish sauce.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken fully absorbs the flavors of the sauce.
For a vegetarian option, substitute chicken with firm tofu, fish sauce with soy sauce and chicken stock with vegetable stock
Step 4 – Add rice to pan
- Add cooked rice into the pan and mixthoroughly for 5 minutes, until rice takes on color.
Did you know that Cashew are classified as a seed and not a nut
Step 5 – Add cashew nuts, fried chilies and spring onions
- Add ½ of the cashew nuts, fried chilies and spring onions. Toss well and remove from heat.
Garnish and serve!
Transfer onto serving plate or dish and garnish with the remaining fried garlic, fried chilies, spring onions and cashew nuts. Serve hot.